I don’t even know where to begin with this one, but how’s about a brief background: I am a freelance web developer with an interest in blockchain. I am also an educator.
Four years ago I launched a Fintech company. Three years ago I was approached by a multi-millionaire who wanted to partner with my company, bringing immense value but also another product that would be complicated to legalize.
I accepted and quit my jobs to focus solely on the Fintech company and received a handsome salary whilst retaining a holding in the firm.
So there’s the overview, now – this is where the fun began:
I spent the following two years undergoing regulatory compliance and fighting with solicitors to allow us to proceed. My investor would literally spend 2/3 weeks – all day, every day – debating whether or not a specific word should be put in an email, and no I am not exaggerating. She held the purse strings and nothing I or my co-workers did would be allowed to be finalized without her say so, right down to sending a single email to a trusted partner.
Her goal was always to get as much information and knowledge out of the recipient as possible without giving anything away. Basically she was playing cloak and daggers constantly.
This would involve 4 and sometimes 5 nightly meetings that would last 4-6 hours, on top of working all day every day. Weekends? What are those? I worked 7 days a week, morning to night for literally 12 months before I tried to go on a week vacation.
Me: I need a week to spend time with family.
Client: What? Unacceptable. IF you do, I will fire you.
What’s more, all this wasted work on inane nonsense means the industry passed us by while I dealt wither her obscure demands. We missed our chance, and now we are left scrambling to try and find another path. Then coronavirus hit:
Client: I can’t pay you any more.
Me: Okay, well then let me know when you’re ready for us to get back to work.
Client: Oh, you still need to work. I just can’t pay you for it.
Long story short, I am still being paid. The people who work for her other companies are all officially off work and have been furloughed by the government and are receiving 80% of their wage – however, they are all actually working and are fully expected to. When this woman rings, if you don’t answer the phone there will be an argument. It’s just easier to answer.
Its important to note, this woman’s background is in software and should be considered quite technical, this would not be the case. She hasn’t a clue and it is now very clear that her success is off of the backs of other peoples hard work and knowledge – she is just a complete leach and opportunist that takes advantage of people.
Now, thats the background done, here are a few things she has done today alone that have irritated me:
- Half hour phone call to explain how to install Zoom on her Mac.
- One hour zoom call explaining what screen sharing was.
- Fifteen minute argument with me trying to explain I cannot access her personal files, especially not any time I want to.
- 30 minute argument as to why I cannot redevelop Chrome to make the URL in the address bar bigger
- 10 minute discussion as to why I haven’t invented an alternative to Chrome.
- Received multiple emails with no body, where the intended message was attached as a Word document.
- Countless phone calls asking “where has the email gone.” She has a tendency to delete emails and then think they have “vanished” – must be the ghosts in the code stealing her emails
- Confusion as to why emails have chains – apparently this is very confusing.
This woman has made milliions of dollars in the tech industry, and I have no idea how. And, I no longer have my freelance web company, am no longer an educator, and due to coronavirus I am at the mercy of this lunatic that demands that I work 24/7.
In short, FML.