A client wanted a PDF where the first few pages had editable text boxes. With each round of amendments, he requested changes to the text in the editable fields, despite being able to do this himself as he specifically requested the editable text boxes so he could amend the wording to suit different clients.
I sent him the final PDF file WITH editable fields and the images.
Client: Why is this an earlier version? Fix it!
I didn't know what he was talking about, and he wouldn't clarify. After cross-referencing the designs to previous proofs and versions three times (re-exporting and re-sending to the client also), I couldn't understand why he was insisting the files I sent were a previous version. That's when I realized that one of the amendments in the editable boxes had reverted from a 7 to a 6.
Turns out he was reaching the 3rd page where this amendment had been missed, assumed the rest of the document was an older version and refused to look at the rest of the pages to check it was the latest document, despite the fact the text was EDITABLE in the EDITABLE text box he had REQUESTED from the beginning that he can edit HIMSELF.
Instead, he got me to spend hours trying to find the issue when he could have changed it himself. Or, better yet, told me what the issue was.
I got paid, but all the extra work made it not worth it.