It started well. We agreed on what needed to be done and I worked on the site. Granted, scope creep started early as I had to create mockups from scratch but I thought “it’s well paid. It’s worth it”.
Nope. Terrible mistake.
I didn’t notice when I was initially reviewing their plans, but hidden deep in their 20-page “needs” document there was a single line asking me to recreate from scratch HubSpot with the Gmail extension + a Hotjar pdf heatmap tool.
Now if you’re unfamiliar with those, those are SaaS companies that have entire teams working for months, costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars in development. And this client wanted me to recreate the entire thing by myself, in a couple of weeks, for 2K.
What’s more, after I started work they started asking for MORE features that weren’t even in the document as part of my original document. I did the math on their asks; they wanted to pay me less than a dollar per hour. What a joke.