I was editing product information copy text in Dutch. The client sends me some Google translated copy that was unintelligible – I couldn’t even tell what the topic was.
Me: Can you send me that text in the original language? What you sent me was unreadable. I’ll translate it from scratch into the right format.
The client then sent me six separate PDFs, none of which were the original copy of what he’d sent me.
I persevered, and using those sources (which were highly technical information sheets) I composed new copy that I sent back to him to be approved.
Client: This is appalling! I’ve sent corrections but I’m not sure this is fixable. This is completely unprofessional work.
Of course, he’d corrected the Google-translated text he’d originally sent me.
I told him this, and resent my original copy to be approved. I didn’t hear back for five weeks.
Client: Just use this.
Attached was all new copy… that had been Google-translated and was completely unusable.