I was copyediting the
website for a TV magazine’s annual awards vote. I asked the people in charge of the site to copy and paste the copy
straight from the online voting form and put it into a Word document so it
could be edited and styled up correctly. Three hours later, I received a Word
document full of screengrabs of the online form, pasted in on top of each other.
In the same email:
finish this quickly. The site is going live in 90 minutes.
I scrambled to go
through and edit everything, with the added difficulty of having to transcribe
from screenshots. I managed to get everything done in time, but the site didn’t
go up until the next day anyway.
When the site did go
up, while cross-checking I noticed that they’d mistakenly omitted an entire